Are you committed to building a mobile application this year? Every first-time app maker encounters the same hurdle when it comes to building an app: choosing between creating a native and a cross-platform app. When your targeted user base is found on a single platform – like iOS – the decision is very simple. But, more often than not, a standard user base will have multiple platform preferences – like Android, iOS, and Windows – prompting many companies to build cross-platform apps instead.
If you’re making a cross-platform app this year, here are some advantages and disadvantages you need to be aware of:
- The broad availability of talent: Most cross-platform IDEs use HTML5, which is a common language among professional web developers.
- Code reuse: About 50% to 80% of the code can be reused, which lets you speed up development.
- Testing and updating made simple: When you test a cross-platform app, you just have to do it once – it will behave the same across all platforms. You just have to update once too.
- Cloud and enterprise solutions: They offer superb cloud integration and enterprise solutions, making them perfect for businesses.
- Reduced costs: The biggest advantage is that they are much cheaper to produce compared to building multiple native apps.
- Difficult to integrate third party services: Using third party services and code can be costly, time-consuming, and may not work.
- Hard to optimize: It’s hard to optimize these kinds of applications. They consume a lot of battery and sometimes run sluggishly.
- Poor graphics and UX: Video rendering is difficult, especially sophisticated graphics or animations. You have to make do with simpler ones, which will reduce the user experience (UX).
- Platform weaknesses: Every OS has its limitations. When you build for multiple OSs in one app, it will carry all their weaknesses and offer limited functionality.
As you can see, sometimes building native is better. If you don’t know whether a cross-platform app is a right choice for you, you can consult with an experienced app development company who will evaluate your unique business requirements and give you their expert input.